Equipe "Plasmas spatiaux"
- Adresse e-mail : claudia.rossi lpp.polytechnique.fr
- Site : Palaiseau
- Bureau : 412-08
- Université / établissement : University of Pisa - Ecole Polytechnique / Université Pierre et Marie Curie
- Sujet : Non-linear dynamics of magnetized plasma at the interface between the magnetopause and the solar wind
- Description :
In the interaction between the solar wind and the Earth’s magnetosphere different phenomena take place, such as the excitation of waves and instabilities. Kelvin-Helmholtz instability develops along the flank of the low latitude magnetopause, this can probably explain the entrance of solar wind plasma inside the magnetopause ; moreover this instability may provide the condition for magnetic reconnection to occurr. We plan to study, using both satellites data and numerical simulations, some of the physical phenomena dealing with this region.
Formations doctorales :
- 4-9 June 2012 – Spineto - Fundamental processes in Space weather : a challenge in numerical modeling
- 2-8 September 2012 – L’Aquila – International School of Space Science : Astrophysical and Space Plasmas
Année précédant la thèse :
LM-17-2nd level degree in Physics (2nd cycle degree-Master)
Name of the course of study : “Astrophysics and plasma”
Thesis title : Small scale turbulence in the solar wind